Unreserved – Citing Records
Citations should be included when you use anything from Unreserved in work that is shared or published. A correct citation provides a guide to the origin of a record and allows others to easily identify from where the record was sourced. Citations for archival materials differ from most common referencing schemes as the majority of the material is unpublished and organised by series. As a minimum, the citation should indicate that the record is in the custody of the Reserve Bank of Australia Archives and include the item’s archival reference number.
We recommend that you include the following information in an abbreviated citation:
- Reference number, i.e. Expanded Number or External ID
- The abbreviation ‘RBA’ which indicates an archival resource of the Commonwealth in the custody of the Reserve Bank of Australia by agreement with the National Archives of Australia
Examples of an abbreviated citation:
RBA Archives, S-La-6
RBA Archives, PN-000292
An expanded citation includes the same information as an abbreviated citation but with additional details:
- The full title ‘Reserve Bank of Australia Archives’ to indicate an archival resource of the Commonwealth in the custody of the Reserve Bank of Australia by agreement with the National Archives of Australia
- The series title (if available)
- The reference number (Expanded Number or External ID)
- The item title
- The date/date range of the item
- The Digital Object Identifier
Examples of an expanded citation:
Reserve Bank of Australia Archives: London Letters; S-La-6, Secretary's Department - London Letters - To London (Indexed) November 1914 - January 1915, November 1914 – January 1915, https://doi.org/10.47688/RBA_Archives_2016/01702.
Reserve Bank of Australia Archives: PN-000292, London - Premises, 36-41 New Broad St.: exterior - 15 July 1919 (plate 106), 15 July 1919, https://doi.org/10.47688/RBA_Archives_PN-000292.
When an attribution statement rather than a citation is necessary the following statement is required by the National Archives of Australia for all RBA material made available on Unreserved:
Source: The archival resources of the Commonwealth in custody of the Reserve Bank of Australia by agreement with the National Archives of Australia